Image Map

Monday, January 18, 2010

Fruit

I know I am getting older because I look forward to going to bed. I look forward to it a lot. Just last night, Tim was all curled up reading, nagging me to close down the laptop and head his direction. It was super late, and the dogs were snoozing on the couch and I was (((as usual))) click-clacking away. I yelled to the other room, "Okay, here we come!" and I got excited. Like, the kind of feeling you get when the opening act is over and the band is coming out. It was sort of silly and perhaps a true sign that I am closer to thirty than twenty. I need my 7 hours...give or take.

We painted our room. It was the first room we've ever painted together and it went quite well. It is a dark blue/gray...the color of storm clouds and sleeping in and the ocean in December and I love it more than I actually thought I would. I love the contrast of the walls with the white woodwork. When it is all said and done, I'll put
some pictures up. However, this may will take a while...

One thing you should know about me is that January is a hard month in my book. The excitement of Christmas is over. The weather is cold and spring feels miles and miles away. As a teacher, in February, you have Groundhog Day and Valentine's Day to anticipate and March means tulips and leprechauns and spring break. So, January has spent 27 years or so trying to redeem itself. To this date, not much has worked short of Martin Luther King Day and the occasional blizzard.

Yesterday, I went grocery shopping and hemmed and hawed over buying clementines. I LOVE clementines, but they are a bit pricey. However, I saw this little cutie poking out of the bag and had to snatch them up right away.



Talk about a sign of hope. We are Right Smack Dab in the Middle of Winter and here's living proof that somewhere, the world is green.

Scarlett is funny. Right now, she is focused on anything she can get her little paws into. I recently purchased a jar of decorative, plastic cherries to put in a vase with a candle resting on top. It just occurred to me that a good 3/4 of those cherries now have tiny shallow teethmarks in them. I have been heaving a lot of sighs this month, it seems. What's one more? Oh. Dogs.

In other news, how 'bout this banner (((sheepishly pointing upward)))? I recently dowloaded "GIMP" which is a poor man's version of Photoshop. Overall, I like it. I am not computer-savvy. Basically, I like checking my email. I wanted something a bit more-permanant-looking...something that looked customized. Fun. Intentional. But I have a hard time keeping up with these crazy graphics-design-dark-rimmed-glasses-wearing-kids. I needed to keep it simple. I don't want to look like a.) I'm trying way too hard and b.) a monkey did my banner.

I am on the fence about the fonts, but I like it for now. What say you?

Love, H. (who-hates-sounding-like-she-is-fishing-for-compliments-and-just-wants-an-honest-opinion)

3 comments:

carmen @ life blessons said...

Haha, you're funny, Holly! I do like the new banner, especially the little coffee splashes! If you want to try a different font, maybe something a little more feminine? That would be the only thing I'd suggest...more "you." :) I usually find free font sites and download them from there if I can't find a "standard" one I like.

Can't wait to see the bedroom photos...although I admit it's hard for me to post photos until everything is *just right.* And it takes a long, long time to get to that point!

Amanda said...

I like the new banner, although I must admit that I liked the last one just as much, too.

I agree with Elizabet Carmen about the font. Even a hand-written piece of coffee-stained paper scanned in would be pretty cute, in my opinion. Although that would not help you with mastering the GIMP at all, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

oooo, you painted too! I can't wait to see a picture. And I'm with you on the Clementines... worth every penny. Oh, and I like the warm brown theme of your blog. Very cozy.